The 38th edition of the Automotoretrò and the 11th Automotoracing motor show will begin at Turin’s Lingotto Fiere exhibition halls from January 30 to February 2 2020, officially launching the European calendar of classic car events.
The winning formula of previous shows will be repeated: visitors can get close to the most beautiful vintage vehicles and sports cars from all over Europe and from different eras. Among more than 1,200 exhibitors, there will also be room for stands dedicated to hobby modeling, original spare parts, vehicle trading and specialized publishing houses. Visitors will also enjoy a rich program of seminars, book presentations and meetings with key figures in the sector.
This is an important event where FCA Heritage, the Group Division focused on the safeguarding and promotion of the historic heritage of the Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Lancia and Abarth brands, will take top billing.
FCA Heritage will present new communication materials and an exciting stage boasting a new design at the Turin event. It will host some stunning models, such as the extremely rare 1910 Alfa 24 HP and the striking Alfa Romeo 6C 1500 SS.
These are two of the masterworks of the Milanese car manufacturer established on June 24, 1910 under the name A.L.F.A. (Società Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili). In particular, the 24 HP model, together with the 12 HP, was the first fruit of the collaboration between Ugo Stella and the Piacenza designer Giuseppe Merosi. Both vehicles are usually on show at the Museo Storico Alfa Romeo in Arese – La macchina del tempo (the Time Machine).
2020 will also witness the 40th anniversary of the Fiat Panda. This is a timeless Fiat icon that has won over the heart of several generations of motorists, with its compact dimensions, large internal space that can be configured for all transportation requirements, as well as its wide range of engines and rich color combinations.
The stand will feature one of the first models of the Panda 30 (1980). Presented at the 1980 Geneva Car Show, the car was met with great success, especially among the younger audience, for its natural simplicity and charm.
Visitors to the Automotoretrò exhibition will also be able to take a closer look at the bumpers for the legendary Lancia Delta HF Integrale. These are the first spare parts in the “Heritage Parts” range dedicated to vintage vehicles, produced by FCA Heritage in collaboration with Mopar.
For the occasion, the much-sought-after pieces can be seen fitted to an experimental ’90s vehicle from the FCA Heritage historical collection, currently being restored at its Officine Classiche (Classic Workshops).
The Turin exhibition is completed by two modern vehicles – the sporty Alfa Romeo Giulia MY20 and the exclusive Fiat Panda Trussardi – characterized by a common thread that has tied past and contemporary vehicles for over a century.
The show is complemented by an exciting photography exhibition at the Mirafiori Motor Village – the famous Turin dealership located in the historical Fiat plant founded in 1939 – telling the story of the FCA Heritage world alongside the wide range of activities and services provided by this Division.
A.L.F.A. 24 HP (1910)
The ALFA 24 HP model exhibited at the 2020 Automotoretrò features torpedo bodywork created by Ercole Castagna, which began a long, fruitful collaboration between his renowned atelier and Alfa Romeo.
In 1953, the manufacturer purchased the vehicle from its own Swiss dealership.
The ALFA 24 HP model was positioned at the medium-high end of the car market of the time with its traditional layout characterized by cutting-edge elements: its ladder chassis and C-shaped stamped rails, the H-shaped stamped front axle and semi-elliptic leaf springs.
It featured drum brakes on the rear wheels, with both pedal and hand controls, along with an inline four-cylinder engine with monoblocks and fixed head in cast iron. The side valves were controlled, using tappets, by a camshaft in the machine bed. Its engine capacity of 4084 cc had a power output of 42 HP at 2200 rpm (later increased to 45 HP at 2400 rpm).
Its driveline was particularly refined: the four-speed gearbox plus reverse gear were linked to the wheels by a one-piece drive shaft inserted into a torque tube. It had Sankey spoke wheels, and a kerb weight of 1000 kg.
Its outstanding performance – reaching a maximum speed of 100 km/h (62 mph) – and attentive design made it an immediate success: by 1913, approximately 200 chassis were produced, divided into four series.
The majority of the chassis featured torpedo bodywork. Among others, the “Corsa” version – with its two-seat baquet bodywork and a reduced weight of 870 kg – participated in various races with good results, including Nino Franchini’s brilliant performance at the 1911 Targa Florio race. After leading the race – despite dreadful weather conditions – with a margin of more than 6 minutes over the Ceirano Scat car, he had to withdraw after being blinded by splash of a mud, causing him to lose control of the car and damage a wheel.
At the outbreak of the First World War, the manufacture of 24 HP chassis began for the Italian Army. Later, when Nicola Romeo took the helm of the company, production was suspended and the plants were used for other products. The chassis was enhanced and completed in the post-war period, resulting in the 20-30 ES model.
Alfa Romeo 6C 1500 Super Sport (1928)
The Alfa Romeo 6C 1500 Sport was created in 1928, designed for racing. This compact inline six cylinder model of only 1467 cm3 with double overhead camshaft had its power enhanced by switching from 44 to 54 hp thanks to an increased compression ratio and a twin-barrel carburettor.
However, it was the Spider versions, mostly built by Zagato, Castagna and Touring, that captured the interest of gentlemen drivers for racing use. These lightweight, agile and responsive cars were characterized by the mechanical perfection of the multi-cylindered engineering jewel hidden under its long bonnet.
To further enhance its performance, a supercharged, single-carburettor version, the Super Sport, was added alongside the twin-barrel carburettor version. Its power output was increased to 76 hp at 4800 rpm and its maximum speed shifted from 130 (80 mph) to 140 km/h (87 mph).
Only 31 Super Sport and Mille Miglia Speciale versions of the Alfa Romeo 6C 1500 were produced in 1928 and 1929. Six models came in the “fixed cylinder head” 84 hp variant, with ten models fitted with a supercharger and 15 without.
On April 1, 1928, an Alfa Romeo 6C 1500 SS belonging to the official racing team – driven by Campari and Ramponi – won the second Mille Miglia. This was the beginning of Alfa Romeo’s legendary results in this famous race, which saw the Milanese brand climb to the top podium in Brescia ten more times: a record that can never be beaten.
In the same years, Boris Ivanowski, a former officer of the Russian Imperial Guard who moved to Paris after the end of the First World War, stood out for his victories outside of Italy, winning the Spa 24 Hours with Marinoni and the Georges Boillot Cup as a solo driver in 1928. He then succeeded in winning the Irish GP Saorstat Cup the following year.
Before becoming one of the greatest manufacturers of sports cars, a young Enzo Ferrari won the 1927 Circuito di Modena race aboard an Alfa Romeo 6C 1500 SS with Giulio Ramponi. He won the same race with Eugenio Siena one year later.
In 1928, he won the Circuito di Alessandria race, which would form the foundations for the “Drake”’s incredible career.
The model shown at the 2020 Automotoretrò exhibition comes from the Museo Storico Alfa Romeo in Arese.
Having been prepared by the expert hands of FCA Heritage technicians, it triumphed in the 2019 edition of the Mille Miglia. However, this was not its first victory in the re-enactment of the classic Brescia race, where it had already topped the podium in 2005 and 2007. It also won the overseas Mille Millas Sport race held in Argentina in 2007 and 2008. This lively Alfa Romeo never tires of running and winning on the world’s roads.
Fiat Panda 30 (1980)
At Automotoretrò, the public will get the chance to admire one of the first red Fiat Panda 30s ever produced. The Fiat Panda, the natural evolution and synthesis of the two iconic Fiat 126 and 127 models, was launched in 1980 and has since kept up its tireless evolution. It also represents a true benchmark in its class, with over 7.5 million models produced to date.
Designed by Giorgietto Giugiaro, the Panda is a compact two-volume sedan, with two doors and front-wheel drive.
Simple in its technical layout, but intended to be functional and roomy, it uses its space to the max: compact on the outside but big on the inside.
The Fiat Panda is characterized by its essential design, with large wrap-around bumpers, a broad protective strip on the sides and large windows. The flat windows – and even the windscreen – allow plenty of light to enter the minimal but extremely practical interior, built with simple yet sturdy and fully washable materials.
The two-cylinder 652 cm3 30 HP air-cooled engine, an evolution of the historic engine of the 500 model in 1957, then used on the 126 model, fitted out the Panda 30 ready for the Italian market. It marked itself out from the Panda 45, which was fitted with the 4-cylinder 903 cc engine of the 127 model, with its different, asymmetrical position of the metal grid on the front grille. The 30 model had the slots on the right to supply air to the two-cylinder fan, whereas the slots and water radiator on the 45 model were on the left side.
In just 3.38 meters, the Panda was able to accommodate five people and provided great versatility in the use of its interior space: the rear bench, with its seven different positions, could be converted into a comfortable hammock, a cot or a large bed. Both the two and the four-cylinder engine were combined with a four-speed manual transmission, independent MacPherson strut suspensions and disc brakes.
The beam rear axle was mounted on double leaf springs with hydraulic dampers and drum brakes. Its fuel consumption was very impressive: the Panda 30 model travels 19 km (12 miles) at 90 km/h (56 mph) on 1 liter, the Panda 45 over 17 km (11 miles). Their maximum speed was over 115 km/h (71 mph) and approximately 140 km/h (87 mph) respectively.
In the space of three years, the Panda models enhanced their trim levels with the “Super” version and the 45 model came fitted with a 5th gear.
However, its greatest success was the launch of the 4×4 model, manufactured in collaboration with the Austrian company Steyr-Puch. This transformation turned the versatile utility car made in Turin into an unstoppable, small and lightweight off-road vehicle. It soon became a favorite among fans of the great outdoors and sports enthusiasts. It became an inseparable companion for all, not only suited to mountain-dwellers.
The increasing success of the long-lived first series has lasted for over twenty years. In 2003, the second series was launched, followed by the current third series in 2012.
This year the Fiat Panda celebrates its 40th anniversary.
FCA Heritage has chosen to begin the celebration of one of its most long-lived models in Fiat’s history in Turin, where one of the first models produced will be joined by the new and exclusive Panda Trussardi model, launched last September.
“Heritage Parts”, the new line of spare parts for classic vehicles
“Heritage Parts” is the new line of faithfully reproduced spare parts for classic cars conceived and created by the FCA Heritage Division in conjunction with the Mopar brand. The project starts with one of the most iconic vehicles in FCA’s history: front and rear bumpers are now available for the Lancia Delta HF Integrale and Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evoluzione.
The parts are produced using the original molds retained by FCA Manufacturing. Following the required refurbishment at the FCA plant in Grugliasco, they will now begin a new life. Specifically, the bumpers are supplied unprimed as the materials do not require flame-polishing. They must be sanded by the customer before they are painted.
The products offered by Mopar and FCA Heritage use original molds and materials, ensuring a perfect fit, so the cars can take to the road in full compliance with current type-approval regulations. This is an important new initiative for the owners of these Lancia vehicles, timeless symbols of the most prestigious victories in rally racing.
The “Heritage Parts” range thus combines the priceless FCA Heritage document archive and the high quality, safety and reliability of original parts produced by Mopar, a brand dedicated to supplying spare parts, customer services and support for FCA Group vehicles.
The Lancia Delta HF Integrale bumpers can be ordered from the FCA Authorized Workshop/Dealership Network or directly from the Mopar Store at the link below. This is the official Mopar store for individual clients, where accessories and spare parts can be purchased, along with a wide range of custom services for their FCA vehicle, such as warranty extensions, maintenance services, all-in-one installation packs and much more.